July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Hello! I guess today isn't the 4th of July, but it is the best I could do. Yesterday morning I couldn't get on the Blogger site. It just wouldn't work. Then in the afternoon and evening I didn't have DSL service. Since I was able to get online now I decided that I had better take advantage of it! So, Happy 4th of July to all of my fellow Americans.

My town has their 4th of July parade on the 3rd. They call it a twilight parade. It starts at 6:30 p.m. If you want a prime spot to watch the parade you had to stake out you spot at least an hour before it starts, if not earlier. My friend Char loves to take photos. She told me that she always wanted to take a photo of the parade from the overpass that crosses the parade's path. Was I game to drive while she took the photos? Sure, I would love to. I guess I should mention that the parade route is also linked up with the big festival at the park so the roads are more congested then usual. We took off on our adventure. We had to figure out how to time the traffic so we could slow down at the top. I found out that if I drove really slow at the bottom of the overpass the people behind me would go around me in the other lane. After they went around me I would speed up to get to the top of the overpass. That gave me time to slow down to almost a stop so Char could snap the photos. It worked! We did a few passes and ended up with some great photos.
This is one of the best photos of the evening. A giant flag is carried down the parade route. Char was so happy as this is her favorite part of the parade each year.

Happy Independence Day!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad she was able to catch that shot! Sounds like you two are a good team.;D

Christine said...

How clever of you to get those shots! Great job!

Teresa said...

I love the idea of the twilight parade - looks sooooo American!

Anonymous said...

HEY!!!!!!! YOU AND CHAR DID A GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!! THE PICTURES ARE GREAT!!! WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE !!!!

julieQ said...

To you too! I am glad you had a great vantage point and got to enjoy the parade. This is one of my favorite holidays!

Charlene said...

We sure did have fun! I count myself blessed to have a friend as good as you are! I wonder what mini adventure we should have next??????