February 25, 2008

Making Progress


I have made progress on the Monster In The Living Room! I was able to turn the quilt down in the frame today. Yippee! I think I am a little past the half way point now in quilting the cross hatch lines. I have to remind myself that once the lines are all quilting the quilting part isn't finished. It is difficult for me to quilt away from myself while working on a frame because of carpel tunnel problems. Since I want to quilt around each leaf and flower motif I will do this after the quilt has left the frame. It shouldn't take as long to do the outline quilting because I won't have to measure and mark straight lines any longer. At least that is what I am telling myself! Someday!

I have Spring fever! I saw the seed displays the other night when I went to a few building supply stores with my hubby. They called my name so I had to go and look at them! Last year was the first time I attempted to grow flowers by seed. Before I had always purchased mine at the nursery. I was happy with my results last year, so I will try again this year with a few different flowers and some repeats that I liked. I bought two different types of Zinnias (two types in one package) and a different variety of Cockscomb (that is what I call it). I will start the seeds indoors in about 2-3 weeks. Yes, starting the plants from seeds does take a lot of work, but the savings in money is worth it. I can afford to have more flowers if I plant them from seed and I have more money available for fabric! *G* The weatherman said we could have six inches of snow by morning. I am SO ready for Spring!

13 comments:

Wilma L. said...

While the snow is blowing and covering everything it's the perfect time to get some more stitches into that Monster in the Living Room!!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Keep stitching away!!!

Lea said...

Ahhhh, I love your monster. I told you before but I will again and again.*S*
She is the prettiest. ah, I love it!
Oh, and those seeds. I love your purchases. I can't resist If I see the seeds stand.*LOL*

Teresa said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and your quilting superb!

Texan said...

oh my I now know what the monster is,,, I love it, its so pretty!!!!

Those red giant cockscomb, thats what I know them by LOL... they will reseed themselves, well they will here. Texas zone 8... Every year mine come up now without me planting. You can save seed off them too really easy.. at the end of the season you will notice the tiny tiny little black seeds on the flower part under the red area all under there, hundreds of them... I just shake them loose on a paper towel and put them in a envelope. So I can plant some more somewhere else!

I have bought my garden seeds, but its been to wet to get the tractor in there to till. I usually do my tilling with my small tiller but this year my time is limited so DH said he would till it with the tractor tiller. Its time to plant several things and I don't even have it tilled! My Kale and a few other things need to go in the ground!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is absolutely beautiful!

~Bren~ said...

We got 8 inches last night! UGH...I am also SO ready for spring. I have seen NO sign of it! More snow on Thursday and Friday.
Your Monster is GORGEOUS!!! It will go fast around those flowers and leaves and they will POP!

Anonymous said...

Monster huh? Lol. It sure is a pretty monster! It is turning out beautifully.

I am getting spring fever seeing plant seeds.... Another month or so for me.

Libby said...

Even though there is no harsh winter in these parts, I'm ready to start thinking about diggin' in the dirt, too *s*

Sue said...

Wow, the monster is coming out beautifully. Good job on the picture of the quilting, they are hard to get sometimes.

I so agree that a lot of turning is much easier to do in a hoop! Keep on keeping on, it will be done before you know it!

Sharon said...

I am going to try the seeds this year also. I want to plant several, if the weather would straighten up. More snow on Thursday but they say 60 by Sat. YEAH!
Your quilt is so beautiful.
Have a nice day.

Rose said...

It seems we are working from opposite strategies on our quilts. I finally have all the edges and outlines done and now I'm working on filling in the centers of the big open spaces.

I can't even look at seeds and plants yet. I'll get way too impatient for spring and we're still 2 1/2 months from our frost free date. Sigh.

country mouse said...

Your monster is beautiful!! Keep up the great work. I'm with you on being ready for spring. I like the snow and stuff, but I'm ready for some color already :cD

julieQ said...

I love your quilt. It is a show-stopper! I really enjoy hand-quilted quilts so much...